COLUMBUS, Ohio — The 2018 spring season for Ohio State football concluded on Saturday with the annual Scarlet and Gray spring game.
The Gray team, featuring the first-team offense, defeated the Scarlet team, 31-14. All three quarterbacks, Dwayne Haskins, Joe Burrow and Tate Martell, rotated between the two teams.
Here are the quarterback stats:
Haskins: 9-19, 120 yards, 2 TDs
Burrow: 15-22, 238 yards, 2 TDs
Martell: 5-16, 28 yards, 1 INT; 11 rushes, 69 yards, 1 TD
Other players like Demario McCall, Binjimen Victor and Chase Young also had strong days.
Relive the spring game as it happened here.
* Each team has had the ball once, and both punted. Gray got a first down on its opening drive, with Dwayne Haskins completing both of his pass attempts for 14 yards. Joe Burrow went 1-for-3 on the drive. It’s 0-0 with 5:43 to play in the first quarter.
* Both Burrow and Tate Martell have tried deep throws down the sideline, over-throwing receivers who were locked in good coverage. Baron Browning is flashing a little bit at middle linebacker for the Gray defense. He deflected a pass, and stopped Master Teague for a 1-yard gain on a read option.
* Ryan Shazier and Malcolm Jenkins, honorary coaches for the two teams today, just got honored at midfield during a TV timeout.
* Still no touchdowns for either offense as we approach the end of the first quarter. Most interesting development at the moment is that Thayer Munford is playing left tackle and Isaiah Prince is playing right tackle. Early in spring we were told that Munford would play on the right side and Prince would slide over from right — where he’s played the past two seasons — to left. Not the case today.
* First points are on the board after a 40-yard field goal from Sean Nuernberger.
* Scarlet gets inside the Gray 5-yard line, but does not score. Martell made walk-on defensive end Noah Donald bite on a zone read and ran for a 30-yard gain. Demario McCall, who switched to the Scarlet team, caught three passes for 23 yards. Shaun Wade had the pass defense on Jaylen Harris on a fade throw from Martell.
* Haskins almost hit Terry McLaurin deep down the field after he had beaten Kendall Sheffield. But the pass was just too far for a diving McLaurin. A 1-yard run by Dobbins and incomplete pass concluded a 3-and-out for the Gray offense.
* Joe Burrow moved to quarterback for the Scarlet offense.
* After a 23-yard pass to Elijaah Gardiner, Burrow threw a pass, which deflects back to him, and he catches and runs for 3 yards.
* Master Teague is the first player to find the endzone this afternoon with a 1-yard TD run. He also had runs of seven and eight yards. He’s a strong back, but we can’t tell what kind of power he has since it has been touch football so far.
* Martell in for Gray. First play is a zone read handoff to Mike Weber for 63 yards. Martell then keeps on the zone read and scores for a 2-yard TD. Three times he has run the zone read well.
* Haskins taking snaps with the Scarlet. And we’re tackling now after Teague goes up the middle for 8 yards.
* Jaylen Harris hauls in a 25-yard touchdown pass from Haskins. He looked tied up with Marcus Williamson, but separated just in time for the TD catch. Both of his catches came on this drive.
* Binjimen Victor makes his first big play of the day, jumping to catch a 30-yard pass with Tyreke Johnson’s back to the ball. With Burrow at quarterback, Gray has worked itself to the 2-yard line with 28 seconds left in the half. And Antonio Williams scores on a 3-yard run.
* Martell checks back in and rips off another nice run on the zone read. It’s the fourth time he’s made the right decision and it’s resulted in a big play.
* They opted to skip halftime with the weather coming in. So we’re into the running clock portion of the second half. Dwayne Haskins got it started with the best throw of the day, hitting Ben Victor for 43 yards down the right sideline. That set up a two-yard touchdown throw to Victor.
As we stand now, Gray leads Scarlet 24-14 with 1:18 left in the third quarter.
* Haskins has been the best quarterback so far today. Martell has made some plays with his legs, but neither he nor Burrow is throwing the ball like Haskins. Haskins right now is 9-of-18 for 120 yards and two touchdowns.
* Defensive standout at the moment is Chase Young, who would have about three sacks if they were letting these guys hit the quarterbacks. He’s been unblockable all game.
* McCall takes advantage of a busted coverage and Burrow finds him wide open for a 50-yard touchdown. He has rotated between both teams and been a busy man with nine catches for 121 yards and a TD. Gray now has a 31-14 lead with a running clock ticking past 8:30.
* The crowd gives J.T. Barrett an ovation as they showed him on the jumbotron between plays. On the very next play, Martell threw an interception to Shaun Wade. Martell has not thrown the ball as well as Burrow or Haskins, completing just 5 of 16 passes for 28 yards.
* Burrow ends the game with a 43-yard touchdown pass to McCall. The spring game ends with Gray winning, 37-14.